A quick word about copyright

As more and more of our cafechurches are using music here is a quick check list of things to consider about copyright.

Every event in your own building does need to be covered by a copyright licence and your church should have a current one from Christian Copyright Licensing International.

If you are performing music in a building that is not owned by you (e.g. a coffee shop) an additional copyright licence is required. The Performing Rights Society (PRS) can provide you with the right cover. You may find that the owner of the building will need to get the additional cover and you can get a one-off event licence from as little as £10. Be willing to reimburse this cost to them.

If you are using background music in a building that is not owned by you and they already use backgound music, your event may be covered by their existing licence. Speak to the Manager to check the detail of what they already have and make sure they are happy for you to use background music under their existing licence.

When it comes to copyright, don’t leave it to chance – let’s give honour where it is due.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: